Followers

Monday, March 26, 2012

Batting Battle Field Report

Hello,

If you've just stepped over from The Tulip Patch, welcome.  Welcome if you are here by another means too...and go check out Mary's batting battle post at The Tulip Patch.  Today she is talking about Fairfield's Bamboo.


From my perspective - Bamboo is a fun way to add a little luxury to a quilt project....any project really.  The fiber produced by this otherwise uninviting bit of panda food is silky with a nice drape.  I have found it to be cuddly and just enough warmer and lighter than cotton to make me wonder if I am imagining things.  The price might make it prohibitive....but look for it on sale.

Thank you Mary for pointing out that the anti-bacterial properties make the processing of bamboo a step easier.  I had never thought of that before.  (So that is what those dark bits in  cotton batting are...bug legs and carcasses....just kidding. I really have no idea.)  I do however suspect that the overall processing might be a tad more complicated.  Think about it - wool and cotton are both in a fibrous state when they are harvested.  They have to be cleaned before they can be turned into bat....but they are already kind of thready.  Bamboo, well, it is pretty much a stick that needs to be beat to death to extract the fibers. 


On a different front - the rain has passed.  The weather is outrageous - jump up and live beautiful (as opposed to drop dead gorgeous).  I hope it is as lovely in your corner of the world today.

3 comments:

Sana Saroti said...

Thanks for the little review. I still dont even have experience with cotton, but the next quilt will definitely be done with that.
Weather is beautiful in Germany, too, right now!

Cindy Sharp said...

What kind of batting do you use?

GIO said...

I didn't even know there was something like that... you got me all curious about it, I've never thought of bamboo for anything else than furniture and decor...
As for the weather, bright and sunny and warm also in Italy (sadly, we are in the office...)