Followers

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Connecting the dots...Life before Quilting?

In just a little while I will be having lunch with an old friend of mine.  I haven't seen her in nearly 13 years, but at one time she was a daily, and much loved part of my life.

Teresa and I worked together for 5 years at the national headquarters of The Boy Scouts of America in Irving, Texas.  Those were some incredible times.  We were both new moms and in new jobs working in the rapidly changing field of compensation and benefits.  Our job was....well...it was complicated.  On paper we payed the national insurance premiums (sort of) and kept track of the billing for insurance to all of the councils.  In reality we did that and then some. 

My favorite part of the job was research and development.  Teresa and I were continually asked to pull information and examine/manipulate it to answer the boss's questions.  Occasionally we were asked to create simple applications automating these processes.  We kept a file on each project and eventually had quite a library of resourses that made our job seem effortless.  Truth was, we had just learned how to learn from our mistakes.

Teresa was my right hand, a natural leader, and quick learner.  I left the BSA in 1996 to be a stay at home Mommy.  Shortly after that I moved to the other end of the DFW Metroplex.   Teresa stayed on  and was eventually promoted to a professional position as a project manager within the IT division.  I'm so proud of her accomplishments.  

My life before being a "professional" Mommy seems like a million years ago, or perhaps something I once drempt of.  I'm looking forward to connecting with it again....

No comments: