Followers

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Custom Quilter in the Making

She didn't fully realize...

This is Sue.  She is a friend of mine.  We have served together on the local quilt guild's board of directors for several years now.  We are both members of the same bee.  We both have a healthy love of learning new things.

Sue has been spending a lot of time with me lately.  She had a stack of quilt tops to finish and didn't feel up to quilting them on her domestic machine.  So I offered to share my long-arm.

The first several quilts were a breeze.  She chose edge to edge patterns that perfectly complemented her piecing and fabrics.   Then she showed me this one. This quilt is made with a stack of charm squares and yardage of coordinating fabrics.  The top is set on point with sashing and large, plain, setting blocks.  We agreed the blocks needed special treatment to make the quilt shine.  I suggested she  custom quilt it.  That's right, I wasn't offering to do it for her.  I knew it was a lot of work.  She does too....now.


A busy day

It was so fun to have her in my home.  She spent the day busily learning the ins and outs of custom quilting. I sat at my work table and attempted to add borders to my quilt.  (See yesterday's blog)  We both had a few challenges to face.  The companionable silence sparkled with occasional quiet grumbling.  It was so much like visiting Pa's workshop.  All it lacked was the smell of wood shavings and Yardley's Old English Lavender to take me back.  I was that close to being a very little girl again.

Neither Sue, nor I finished our projects yesterday.  My work room is still draped in fussy cuts lengths of fabric and her quilt is still on the frame, covered with an old sheet to keep the cats off of it.  Both of us are pleased with our accomplishments.

Isn't her quilt beautiful?!

I'm not showing you mine until I get those borders on, all of them that is.  I only have three more sides to go.  It could happen.  It will happen a lot more quickly if I get off of the computer and get sewing.

1 comment:

Javamom said...

It is very beautiful! Can't wait to see yours with the borders. I so understand that companionable silence in the workroom. It can be wonderful! :::sigh:::

My workroom has been silent since just before Christmas, by lack of bookbinding! But I will get back to it when I get used to juggling one more thing that has been added to my plate.